Variolite Street Reconstruction IP 20-01
Update September 3, 2021
This project is complete.
City Staff would like to thank property owners who were affected by this project for their input, patience, and cooperation throughout the project.
Updated September 3, 2021
- Final completion; August 30, 2021
- Substantial Completion; November 2020; The contractor completed the work except for minor punch list repairs which will be completed in the summer of 2021.
- Pedestrian Improvements; November 6, 2020; The contractor completed the concrete pedestrian ramps, and activated push button crosswalk at 161st Avenue.
- Bituminous Pavement; October 31, 2020; The contractor completed the first lift of bituminous pavement Saturday October 31 and Monday November 2, 2020.
- Stabilization of Reclaim; October 26, 2020; The contractor completed the stabilization of the reclamation material which will support the bituminous pavement.
- Sanitary Sewer Connection; October 16, 2020; The contractor connected the existing sanitary force main with the new manhole at 166th Avenue, making the new gravity sanitary sewer live.
- Begin Stabilization of Reclaim; October 12, 2020; The contractor begins stabilization of the reclamation material, by stabilizing the reclamation we are reducing the required overall thickness of the pavement section, reducing overall project costs.
- Trunk Sanitary Sewer; October 2, 2020; The contractor finished installation of deep sanitary sewer between 163rd Avenue and 166th Avenue, replacing the force main sewer which will allow for future development to the north of Trott Brook.
- Trunk Watermain; September 25, 2020; The contractor finished and connected the new trunk watermain extension between 166th Avenue and 173rd Avenue, which will allow for future development to the north of Trott Brook.
- Reclamation of Pavement; September 18, 2020; The contractor reclaimed the existing pavement and underlying gravel of Variolite Street between Alpine Drive and 173rd Avenue. The reclaim will be stabilized, shaped and compacted to support the new bituminous pavement.
- Start Trunk Watermain; August 24, 2020; The contractor began installing the trunk watermain between 166th Avenue and 173rd Avenue, this watermain main will be directionally bored, reducing impacts to the project and avoiding impacts to the wetlands surrounding Trott Brook.
- Start Trunk Sanitary Sewer; August 17, 2020; The contractor began installing the deep gravity trunk sanitary sewer between 163rd Avenue and 166th Avenue.
- Reclaim Sanitary Sewer Area; August 7, 2020; The contractor reclaimed the pavement of Variolite Street between 163rd Avenue and 166th Avenue which will receive sanitary sewer improvements, the reclaim material was hauled off-site and used on other roads within the City.
- Erosion Control; August 14, 2020; The contractor installed silt fence for all of the project site, erosion will be monitored throughout the construction and maintained, replaced, or adjusted as necessary.
- Traffic Control; July 31, 2020; The contractor set up traffic control for Variolite Street between Alpine Drive and 173rd Avenue.
- Pre-Construction Meeting; July 16, 2020; The City held a pre-construction meeting with the contractor, and their subcontractor. Information including project schedule, method of construction, traffic plans, and other miscellaneous construction related items were discussed.
- Construction Contract Award; June 9, 2020; The Ramsey City Council awarded a construction contract to Park Construction for the Variolite Street Reconstruction project.
- Bid Opening; June 5, 2020; The City opened bids for the Variolite Street Reconstruction project. Five bids were received with Park Construction Company of Minneapolis, MN the lowest responsible bidder.
- Final Plans; June 2020; The Plans for Variolite Street can be viewed here.
- City Council Orders Plans; April 14, 2020; The Ramsey City Council accepted the Feasibility Report, which can be viewed here, and ordered plans and specifications for the Variolite Street Reconstruction project.
- City Council Orders Feasibility Report; December 10, 2019; The Ramsey City Council ordered the City Engineer to prepare a feasibility report to explore the necessity and cost-effectiveness of the proposed improvements.
- City Council Authorizes Proposals; September 10, 2019; The Ramsey City Council authorized Staff to execute proposals for required topographic survey, and geotechnical work which was completed in the fall of 2019.
If you have questions, please contact Civil Engineer II, Joe Feriancek by email or by phone at 763-433-9893 with any questions related to this project.