Back-Up Checklist

If you have problems with your sewer, or experience a sewer back up, call the Utilities Department at 763-433-9861 from 7:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. weekdays or call Anoka County Central Dispatch at 763-427-1212 after regular hours and on weekends. Even if the problem is not located on the City's sewer main, the City wants to check the sewer mains for items which may be cut loose and pushed into the City system and possibly cause a new plug.

Start Clean Up

Begin the clean-up as promptly as possible. The City will report the back-up to League of Minnesota Cities Insurance Trust (LMCIT) and an adjuster will contact you shortly. In the meantime, don't delay beginning the clean-up. For health and safety reasons, you may wish to use a commercial service rather than doing the clean-up yourself. A list of firms that do this type of work is located under carpet cleaners in the yellow pages. Please note that the City of Ramsey doesn't require, endorse, or recommend the use of any particular firm.

Notify Insurance

Notify your own insurance company. In many cases, your homeowner's or other insurance will cover some or all of the costs and damages from a sewer back-up. The LMCIT adjuster will also ask you for information on your own insurance. No Fault Insurance: This insurance could pay for the costs a resident or property owner incurs during clean-up and for damages caused by a sewer back-up.

Make a List of Damaged Items

Make a list of the items that were damaged or destroyed. Include as much information as you can on the description, age, and value of each item. Purchase receipts are helpful if they're available. If possible, it's helpful to take photographs of any damaged items that you dispose of. Keep receipts for any clean-up or repair work you have done.

More Information

If you have questions or if you don't hear from the LMCIT adjuster, contact the Utilities Department at 763-433-9861.