Business Licensing

Food TruckNew Business License for Mobile Food Units

The Ramsey City Council approved a new Mobile Food Unit (MFU) ordinance. This new ordinance simplified the license requirement for food trucks operating in the city by replacing the need for a transient merchant license and does not require a background checkThe two options include a 90 Day license ($80) or a full-year license ($100). 
Be sure to submit your application at least 3 weeks before your event date to allow time for processing and approvals. 
Mobile Food Unit License Ordinance
MFU Operating Requirements
List of Current Licensed Food Trucks (MFU) in Ramsey

Business License Ordinance

The City of Ramsey has established a uniform system for the issuance, revocation, suspension, and renewal of licenses for all activities for which the City Code requires licenses. It is unlawful to engage in a trade, profession, business, or privilege in the city for which a license is required without first obtaining a license from the City in the manner provided in this section.

A licensee must carry or display the city-issued license certificate or ID badge at all times while engaged in the activity for which the license was granted. Where the licensed activity is conducted at a fixed place of business or establishment, the certificate must be exhibited at all times in some conspicuous place on the licensed premises. The licensee must present the license certificate upon request to any police officer or authorized representative of the city. Licenses are not transferable.

Apply for a Business License

Business licenses and/or ID badges are issued upon application approval by the City Council and completion of a background check. The review and approval process may take up to 15 days (120 days for therapeutic massage licenses). Refer to City Code Chapter 26 - Licenses, Permits & Misc Business Regulations.

All renewal and select new business license applications can now be submitted online via eLicenses. Renewals require a code that was emailed to the licensee. Click on Apply Here to submit your eLicense application:

Apply-Here-Button Opens in new window

License Applications Available in eLicenses 

Massage Therapist
Massage Establishment
Mobile Food Unit (90 Days)
Mobile Food Unit (Annual)
Non-Profit Solicitor/Transient Merchant
Special Event
Transient Merchant
Trash Hauler


Solicitors (including ice cream trucks) traveling door-to-door must wear their City-issued badge at all times and carry their license certificate. Soliciting is allowed from 9:00 a.m. - 9:00 p.m. per city ordinance. Solicitation is NOT ALLOWED until approved by City Council and ID badges are issued and may risk up to a $250 fine and/or immediate denial of future applications. Allow up to 3 weeks to process and approve the license application.  Please contact us at 763-433-9828 or email us with any questions. Ordinance information can be found in City Code Chapter 26, Article XIII.

Transient Merchants & Game Fair

Vendors who engage temporarily (60 days or less) in the business of selling goods within the city and who occupies any structure, vacant lot, property, etc must obtain a license to do so. Documented permission from the property owner is required. Allow up to 3 weeks to process and approve the license application. NOTE: 2023 Game Fair Transient Merchant application DEADLINE  is JULY 18, 2023.


Contact the non-emergency police dispatch line at 763-427-1212 or 911.

Residents can view these guidelines from the MN Attorney General's Office regarding door-to-door sales. 

Liquor License Applications

Temporary On-Sale Intoxicating License

Temporary on-sale intoxicating licenses are available for non-profits holding community events or breweries at social events sponsored by the brewer. To apply, complete the MN Alcohol & Gambling (AGE) Temporary On-Sale Intoxicating form and return to City of Ramsey or scan and email the Economic Development department at least 30 business days before event along with a copy of a certificate of liability insurance (with "City of Ramsey" listed as certificate holder). The City will process the application, City Council needs to approve and then it will be submitted to the State on behalf of applicant. Refer to MN Statute 340A.404 Subd. 10 for requirements. NOTE: Per state statute, the temporary on-sale intoxicating license is limited to 12 days per year within a 12 month period. Each event must be at least 30 days apart.

New On-Sale, Off-Sale, 3.2 Liquor, Wine Intoxicating Licenses

Applicants need to complete a City of Ramsey Liquor License Application. A $500 non-refundable investigation fee and license fee must accompany submitted application. Brand new businesses should always verify zoning regulations with the Planning department first.

City of Ramsey Liquor License Application
Checklist for New Liquor Establishments
Optional 2AM Closing License Application

Caterer's Permit

Licensed restaurants with an on-sale intoxicating liquor license may serve alcohol off premises with an Alcohol Caterer's Permit obtained from the Minnesota Department of Public Safety (DPS).

All MN AGED Application Forms
City of Ramsey Liquor License Ordinance
City of Ramsey Liquor License Fees

Other Licenses

Business Registration Certificates

The City of Ramsey requires that every business obtain a Business Registration Certificate (BRC) annually in order to operate in the City. Visit the Business Registration page for details & application form. The BRC is processed and maintained by the Ramsey Police department and renewed annually in January. Contact Jennifer Johnson at 763-433-9889 with any questions.

Contractor Licenses

To apply for a contractor's license in the City of Ramsey, visit the Contractor License page.

Fire or Tent Permits

To view or apply for fire related permits, visit the Ramsey Fire Department permit page.

Food Based Businesses

For questions regarding licensing a new food-based business, contact MN Department of Agriculture or Anoka County Environmental Services. Anoka County licenses and inspects food service establishments. MDA regulates areas such as grocery stores, convenience stores, bakeries, meat processing, and candy-making businesses.


For questions regarding lawful gambling (raffle, pull tabs, etc), view City Code Article V or contact Diana Lund at 763-433-9847.

Home Based Businesses

Ramsey residents with a home-based business may require a home occupation permit.
Home Occupation Permit Application (PDF). Questions may be directed to the Planning Department at or 763-433-9824.

Rental Licenses

Ramsey residents use this application when renting out your home.
Rental Licensing Application (PDF). Questions may be directed to Dana Verbeek at
763-433-9824. For a list of apartment rentals, see the Current Business List.